Home Network Setup Help

I installed my Debian system as a single user PC but now want to configure this machine as a Server for a Network.  I realized
very quickly that the slackware book I have that describes setting up a network is a little different than the debian system
I have installed.

Where can I find any info on setting up a debian Network from scratch?  I have all of the hardware.  What I need to know is
which files need to be created/edited?

Are there any configuration tools that may be of help?  I spotted 'cfengine' and 'linuxconfig' but don't know yet if they will
be of any use?

Thanks,

Lance