Install problem: LI, than nothing else

Hi! I'm a real beginner so please forgive my fool questins.

I tought I've allready installed DebinLinux but I never got over the "LI"
after
several times. I installed it from a CDROM and during the installation there
was only one problem: I couldn't create a bootdisc because my a: (LS120 UHD)
drive didn't work with the installer.
I've got a 5 GB disk in primeri master with Win98 and a 4 GB disk in primeri
slave on which I want to install Linux. They are both in LBA mode so I tought
there is no problem with the cylinder(?) number. Am I right?
I also tried a little (60MB) root partition at the beginning of the HD but got
the same result.

An other problem: I created a bootdisc at last in Dos but after Uncompressing
Linux it stops with "crc error      System Halted"  What is it?

I really want to try this Linux but the beginning semms hard.....
Walthier Mate