E! problem..

My X works fine with other window managers, but when i tried to use
enlightenment, i ran into a problem when loading it:

I 'apt-get'ed Enlightenment and all it's dependencies (ftped from the stable
slink), and when i load it up, my cursor stays as an "X".  I can click on
the little "exit" button and get out of X, but i cant access the menus which
should appear when clicking mouse buttons and stuff.

I dont have sound enabled, and i hear E! uses sound by itself.  this is the
only problem i could think of, but it doesn't sound like the correct one to
me.

any suggestions?