Re: E! Enlightenment for newbie?

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 12:33:30AM +0100, John Gay wrote:

> available, but the desktop is still 1024x768. At lower resolutions, I can use
> the mouse to scroll around the screen. How to I get the desktop to change
> with the resolution?

In the XF86Config, check the size you've got for "Virtual" in each display
depth setup. This determines the virtual desktop size... But what also happens
is, if you have no "Virtual" entry for that display depth, XFree86 will take
the largest listed resolution as the virtual desktop size, no matter what your
visible resolution is.

For example, if you had:
	Modes "800x600" "1024x768" "640x480"

Then X would start up in 800x600 at that display depth, but still use a virtual
desktop size of 1024x768. Which is pretty much what you described.

I'm not 100% sure, but if you specify a "Virtual" size of 0 0, it should use
the same virtual desktop size as the default resolution, so for the above
example it would pick 800x600 as the virtual desktop size. But I'm not sure if
it works this way.

Alternatively, you can delete the higher resolutions (1024x768 in the example)
so the largest listed resolution is the one you want to use. This is not a
great solution.

You could probably also try setting the virtual desktop size (via "Virtual") to
the same as the resolution you want to use (e.g. "Virtual 800 600" in this
example).

Check out the manpage for XF86Config if my description is too badly written to
make much sense. :-)

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz