Desperately trying to upgrading from Debian1.3 (Apt-get problem)

Hi,
	I currently are running debian 1.3 (bo) and I am desperately trying
to upgrade to a newer version (lib6). I have installed the lib5 version of
apt-get (0.1.5) and  have been able to get apt-get to talk to
ftp.debian.org. However when I run 'apt-get update' to update the package
listings apt-get appears to download /debian/contrib package listing OK but
stall on /debian/main. When it attempts to download /debian/main package
listing is displays it as 50% complete immediately but the download offset
number is at 0 indicating that is in fact just beginning the download. At
this point apt-get stalls.

Has anyone else experience this problem as I am desperate to upgrade.

Also is it Ok to jump from BO to SLINK missing HAMM altogether?

Cheers
David