Re: hardware...

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:

) On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 12:43:18PM -0500, Don Custer wrote:
) > To the good folks at Debian...
) >
) > I have two short questions which I hope can be answered with two short
) > answers. I failed to find pertaining answers in the FAQs.
) >
) > 1. I am going to buy a new computer (to replace my 1991 dinosaur).
) >    I want it to be powered by Debian Linux. Are there any particular
) >    brands that are more friendly toward Linux? If it would make this an
) >    easier question to answer... are there any particular brands to stay
) >    away from? I don't want to end up with a pile of incompatible junk.
) Stuff to consider:
) * drivers don't exist for sound cards with Aureal chips
)   and the new Soundblaser Live.

Drivers do exist for the SB Live.  I haven't checked out the latest
versions which are supposed to add /dev/audio and /dev/dsp, but the old
version did work w/ CD audio.  The Creative site has these drivers:

http://support.soundblaster.com/files/download.asp?OS=Beta&prod=sblive

Check the emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz link.

) * video cards: stay away from 3dfx stuff, I'd recommend Matrox or
)   NVidia based products because both companies are actively working on
)   3D drivers for Linux and have been open about specs

The Nvidia RIVA chipset drivers work very well.  Go to:

ftp://ftp1.detonator.nvidia.com/pub/drivers/english/riva-tnt-tnt2-vanta/linux/

and check the FAQ.

Evan Day		| "These people looked deep into my soul and assigned
SMTP->day@peak.org	|  me a number based upon the order in which I joined"