Re: Netscape

John Pearson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 05:34:34PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote
> >
> > On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Ryan Chouinard wrote:
> >
> > > I always hear people complain about Netscape crashing, but I never had
> > > that problem, except in Windows. But then, everything crashes in
> > > Windows. Netscape works fine for me in RH, Slackware, and now Debian.
> > > What's the deal?
> > >

> > I have the same non-problem as you, and I don't understand it.  I had
> > netscape crash on me last night for the first time in recent memory, and I
> > was quite surprised to see it happen.  From what I can tell I'm not doing
> > anything different from anybody else.  I've got Java and Javascript
> > enabled, and I'm running the full Communicator 4.51 package (Navigator 4.6
> > at work).  I installed 4.51 using the debian installation wrapper (using
> > the archive from netscapes FTP site), and the 4.6 that's available in .deb
> > format (from netgod.net, I think...apt makes it too easy to not care 8^).
> > All this is on a slink system with the upgrades from security,
> > proposed-updates, and netgod.  But it's been stable for ages.
> >
> > Oh well, I won't ask questions.  My experiences with netscape have been
> > fine.  Still, though, I can't wait for Mozilla to mature.  A smaller
> > browser footprint would be great.
> >

> I've had Netscape crash on me while JavaScript was enabled, but otherwise
> it's been just fine *until* yesterday, when it crashed (occasionally and
> unreproducibly, using version 4.5) several times while loading pages from
> http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/ with Java & JavaScript disabled, so
> presumably bad HTML can still break it from time to time.
>
> John P.

	You know, I'm starting to think NS Communicator has some deep,
evil magic embedded in it.

	Till now, I've only noticed one problem with NS, that being it
would crash if I tried to use more than one browser window.  This
thread prompted me to check again, and guess what?  I can use
multiple browser windows without crashing.  The URL above causes
no problems even when I have java and javascript enabled, and, I
have no problem clicking on mailto: links as mentioned in another
post of this thread.  I'm sure it was 4.61 that I was using the
last time I tested the multiple browser windows problem.

	Go figure.

	If anyone is interested, I'm using a K6-200, 64M ram, GNOME with
fvwm2.  I use NS daily for browsing, email, and newsgroups.

--
Ed C.