Re: Netscape

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 05:34:34PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Ryan Chouinard wrote:
>
> > I always hear people complain about Netscape crashing, but I never had
> > that problem, except in Windows. But then, everything crashes in
> > Windows. Netscape works fine for me in RH, Slackware, and now Debian.
> > What's the deal?
> >

> I have the same non-problem as you, and I don't understand it.  I had
> netscape crash on me last night for the first time in recent memory, and I
> was quite surprised to see it happen.  From what I can tell I'm not doing
> anything different from anybody else.  I've got Java and Javascript
> enabled, and I'm running the full Communicator 4.51 package (Navigator 4.6
> at work).  I installed 4.51 using the debian installation wrapper (using
> the archive from netscapes FTP site), and the 4.6 that's available in .deb
> format (from netgod.net, I think...apt makes it too easy to not care 8^).
> All this is on a slink system with the upgrades from security,
> proposed-updates, and netgod.  But it's been stable for ages.
>
> Oh well, I won't ask questions.  My experiences with netscape have been
> fine.  Still, though, I can't wait for Mozilla to mature.  A smaller
> browser footprint would be great.

I've had Netscape crash on me while JavaScript was enabled, but otherwise
it's been just fine *until* yesterday, when it crashed (occasionally and
unreproducibly, using version 4.5) several times while loading pages from
http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/ with Java & JavaScript disabled, so
presumably bad HTML can still break it from time to time.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au