Strange behaviour of Apache JServ

Hi!

I'm currently running a Java servlet that I wrote on Apache JServ. I'm getting
this strange behaviour that every time I restart Apache, and then access the
servlet, Apache returns a page complaining of an internal configuration/
runtime error. However, if I persistently reload the page, at some point the
servlet suddenly starts to work, and from that point on, everything functions
as normal, and the servlet can process queries without any errors.

The annoying thing is that none of this internal errors show up in the Apache
log files, so I've absolutely no idea if this is a bug in the servlet itself,
or did I misconfigure something in Apache/JServ, or is it a bug with Apache??
I even tried having my servlet open a file in /tmp/ and writing diagnostic
output into it -- but that file simply shows up *empty*.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem and how to fix it? I'm using
JDK 1.1 (Debian package 1.1.7v2-2), JSDK 1.0 (downloaded straight from Sun's
website), the apache package 1.3.6-15.2, and libapache-mod-jserv 1.0-1.

Also, possibly related is that fact that I'm using the MM MySQL JDBC driver
(manually installed) which is loaded by the servlet's constructor. I know for
sure it's NOT the actual database queries that cause this problem, because I
tested it once with all database queries disabled. It might be the actual
*does* eventually load properly, because after the servlet suddenly decides to
start working, all DB queries work perfectly.)