Re: Configuring printer (HP 870Cxi)

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 06:06:47PM +0000, you wrote:
> Hi to all
> I'm using Debian Potato and, I must say, it's wonderful, even if it's
> unstable (sometimes WindowMaker 0.6 freezes, and sometimes the entire
> system crashes with strange errors).
> However a big problem I'm having is about printing. I'm using an HP
> Deskjet 870Cxi  printer, I configured /etc/printcap with the magicfilter
> dj550c-filter (I haven't found the right filter for 870) but when I
> print something different from text (text prints well) I get an error:
> "can't find file dju550c". Where is this missing file?? I downloaded and
> installed the djtools package, but that didn't resolved anything...
> Any help would be very appreciated. Thanx
> Bye
>     Marco

Hi Marco,

I am running potato with an HP855 printer.  Here is what works for
me.  It should also work for your HP870.  I am using apsfilter instead of
magicfilter.  I had problems with the potato version of apsfilter , so I
installed version 4.9.7-5 from slink.  I am using this in conjuction with
ghostscript.  For ghostscript, go to the debian ftp site and get the
deb binary from debian/project/experimental.  This has been hacked to
include the HP850 driver, which will also work for the HP870.  This setup
has been performing flawlessly for me.  Good luck.

Gene