Re: problems with defrag 0.73

That's correct.  I've had filesystems for years that never get more than
a few percent fragmentation.  If you *really* want to do this, you need
to copy e2fsck and defrag to a floppy and boot off the rescue disk. When
the installation screen comes up, go to the option to start a shell (or
switch to the second virtual terminal) and mount the floppy under /mnt.
At this point none of your hard disk partitions are mounted so you can
run e2fsck and defrag on them.  Just ctl-alt-del to reboot the system
when you're finished.  I just e2fsck'd all the partitions on a box the
other night using this very method.

Jonathan