Help! xdm not starting at boot

I have xdm configured to start when the system boots up.  I changed my X
configuration and now the system is in a loop trying to start X and failing.
I am able to boot from my Debian CD, but don't know what to do when I get
there.

How can I:
1) prevent xdm from trying to run at startup OR
2) get in and edit the X configuration file manually -- ideally, I would like
to restore the backup XF86Setup created. Unfortunately, I didn't write down
its location and I don't know where to copy it.