Re: DSL good enough to run a small server on?

Typically when people refer to using "DSL" for ISP access, they're talking
about ADSL or RADSL which is an analog signal and requires that you be
within 12,000 - 18,000 cable feet of the service Central Office.  This
depends on a number of other items including cable gauge and the presence
of gauge changes in the cable serving the location.

The "outhouses" usually contain SLC-96 or other line-side deployment
equipment for delivering analog POTS (plain old telephone service) to a
neighborhood which is then carried back to the serving CO via either
voice T1 or in very large installations even over DS3 or SONET Add-Drop
Multiplexers.

Since the DSL equipment (and an appropriate sized data link back to the
router at the CO) is rarely put out in these "outhouses" today, you
usually have to be within the cable length distances of the CO itself to
get the service.  Eventually, they'll probably deploy DSL equipment in the
outside plant and bring service closer to service more neighborhoods as
time goes on.

Most RBOC's offering DSL have people that can look up the complete cable
makeup and outside plant setup by your phone number or address to help you
determine whether or not service is available in your area.

If you want to continue to discuss this or if you have questions about
various delivery methods for data service, feel free to e-mail me directly
off of the Debian-User mailing list.