Re: more RAM = more speed?

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 08:14:06AM -0700, Patrick Olson wrote:
> 1.  hdc has been a CD-ROM since the second I booted the Debian install CD.
> Will anything bad happen if hdc is suddenly a hard disk and hdd is now the
> CD-ROM?  I haven't actually used the CD-ROM since I finished installing,
> so the only possible trouble spot might be booting.
Booting won't be a problem, since you aren't moving around hard drives.
Check /etc/fstab to make sure there is no reference to hdc. Otherwise,
you are fine.

> 2.  Is there a a how-to or some doc's for this?  I made a swap partition
> with cfdisk in the beginning and let the (excellent) install program
> figure out the rest.  Thus, I never learned much about swap.
The 'mkswap' program makes a swap partition. Make a partition
(/dev/hdc1) and run 'mkswap /dev/hdc1'. Use -c to check for bad sectors.
Use 'swapon /dev/hdc1' to enable the swap partition. Add a line to
/etc/fstab similar to your existing swap line to automatically enable
this swap partition on boot. 'swapoff /dev/hdc1' will turn off your swap
partition.

> 3.  Since any drive I add will be old and slow (<200MB), is it worth it?
Try it out and see. I'd say yes, because one of the drives wouldn't be
going back and forth, moving the head all around. If it doesn't make any
difference, you can use it to back up data or something.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com