Re: network firewalling situation

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 03:43:10PM -0400, Dan DeMond wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm setting up a machine here to take over the job of our firewall
> temporarily.  Both machines have the same network cards in the same
> configuration.  The current firewall is a debian 2.0 machine running
> kernel 2.0.29 on an i486.  The temp machine is an i386, debian 2.1, kernel
         ^^^^^^
> 2.2.10.  I'm using the same setup scripts in the same order to make the
  ^^^^^^
> computer route packets between two networks, but it just isn't working on
> the i386.  Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The firewalling stuff changed in 2.2. ipchains is now used instead of
ipfwadm. Either run 2.0.37 instead of 2.2.10, or convert your scripts
to use ipchains. For more info, Check out the IP-CHAINS-HOWTO or
the IP-Masquerading-mini-HOWTO, both available in /usr/doc/HOWTO.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com