Re: Collecting mail for other users with fetchmail?

Jor-el <jorel@marvin.megadodo.umb> wrote:
> Phillip,
>
> 	Its seems to me that you havent read the manpage. Specifically,
> the sections about the '-m', the '-u', and the user authentication.

It seems to me you didn't read my original query. I did read the
manpage, -m appears to refer to the mail delivery agent. I use exim as
an MDA. -u relates to the login name with the IP. As I explained, my
IP's POP3 server requires that I log in with scgf, my *hostname*. The
same hostname is used by everyone on my system, hence mail collected
with this login could belong to anyone.

As it happens, I found the answer in the Linux Gazette - they have an
excellent article on Setting up Exim for a home network
(http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/stumpel.html

I added this to my ~/.forward file:

if $header_to: contains "sah1"
then deliver sah1

This causes exim to deliver mail addressed to sah1@scgf.dircon.co.uk to
the correct inbox for sah1, ie. /var/spool/mail/sah1

I appreciate your reply, Jorel, but I am somewhat annoyed at your
implication that I would not bother to read the most obvious manpage. It
appears that many Linux users are just too quick to point the finger at
others who they believe have not read the documntation.

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)