hardware...

To the good folks at Debian...

I have two short questions which I hope can be answered with two short
answers. I failed to find pertaining answers in the FAQs.

1. I am going to buy a new computer (to replace my 1991 dinosaur).
   I want it to be powered by Debian Linux. Are there any particular
   brands that are more friendly toward Linux? If it would make this an
   easier question to answer... are there any particular brands to stay
   away from? I don't want to end up with a pile of incompatible junk.

2. In regard to this Y2K frenzy... do you folks know of any reason
   (other than price) for waiting until after Y2K to buy a computer?
   I am referring to any problems in today's systems that I may not
   be aware of.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I am not a Linux Guru. I have
used RedHat. It's nice, but reminds me of Microsoft. I have also played
with SlackWare, no complaints on it. But, after seeing the Debian system
my son has setup on his computer... well... you got me hooked!

ThanX in advance...

Don Custer
-- Arachne V1.50;beta, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://home.arachne.cz/