Re: ipconfig eth0:1 down doesnt do what i think it would

Looks like it's a bug. You can use the method suggested in this article which was posted to
comp.os.linux.networking:

 Deja.com: Re: ?:Kernel V2.2.-IP Alias-eth0:0 Is Invisible To 'ifconfig"?

Just do:

ifconfig eth0:1 0.0.0.0

Hopefully this won't cause and adverse behavior. OTOH perhaps the "right" way to get around
this is to not be hitting the static IP interally. Why not just go to 10.0.0.1?

Later,