AWE64 Problems

I have a Creative Labs AWE64 (ISA PnP) card, and I'm having a bit of trouble
getting it configured in Debian.

I have re-compiled my kernal (2.0.36) to include the appropriate sound
support, and I have also set up the pnptools (via pnpdump) to initialise the
card at boot.

The problem seems to be that the initialisation of the card (via PnP) takes
place after the sound support from the kernal has loaded. What I get at boot
is the message that sound support is being initialised, but no cards are
picked up in the kernal drivers. Later on in the boot process, the PnP tools
initialise the card with no errors.

I would like to hear from anyone who has has experience with getting the
AWE64 working under Debian as I don't know what to do next - the only other
option is to boot DOS and load the DOS drivers, then boot Debian.

Cheers
Andy