Re: [Debian] Multiport Ethernet boards?

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Nico De Ranter wrote:

 :
 : Howdy,
 :
 : I believe somebody posted a message about this some time ago
 : but I couldn't find it in the archives (actualy I don't know
 : what to look for :-).  I want to build a router using a PC
 : running Linux. Unfortunately there aren't enough PCI slots to
 : accomodate all networkadapters.  Are there any multiport
 : ethernet adapters around that are supported by Linux?

Yes.  SMC makes a nice one that's based on the tulip chipset.  There's a
dual model, and I think a quad.  I don't have any URLs but I did search
Altavista once with exactly your question and came up with a few pages
talking about multiport NICs supported in Linux.

 : Considering I want to build a router with 9 network interfaces
 : (preferably 100Base-Tx but I guess that's too much to ask for :-),
 : what kind of PC should I use (it will only do routing and maybe
 : DNS).  Will a Pentium 233MMX do the trick or should I go for
 : a PIII 550. Will 64MB do or should I use 128MB, will the amount
 : of memory have any impact at all on the performance. I figure
 : the PCI bus will probably be the bottleneck here.

Well, I would think that the Pentium would handle it - Bay routers (for
example) are generally powered by 68040 Motorola chips ...

RAM is good :)

 : Isn't there a Linux-router or something like that around?

http://www.linuxrouter.org/

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD