Re: Weird slow network problem...

Dan Everton wrote:

<snip>

> As for what I mean by locally and externally... we both live on campus at
> university and are connected to the residential network. Traffic within
> this network is fine and goes at full speed for my friend. The residential
> network is connected (through a firewall) to the university network.
> Traffic to this network is extremely slow for my friend but normal
> ethernet speeds for me. I hope that clears it up.
>
> Dan

This is just a shot in the dark; perhaps you have two or more DNS
servers listed, and they are reversed on his machine vs yours, or
there's a typo in the list. I'm thinking that maybe locally your
friend's system sees the local net pretty easily, but when it hits
remote sites it's looking to a bum DNS server, tries for a while, then
hits the secondary but good DNS and finds the site.

This doesn't really make sense, because it seems to me (I'm not
well-versed in networking) that once the remote machine's IP is found,
the transfer would go at normal speeds; it would just be the initial
look-up that would cause a delay.

But like I said, this is just a shot in the dark.