Re: module aliases

Gregory T Norris <haphazard@socket.net> writes:
GTN> Periodically I get the following messages in my logfiles:
GTN>      modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-1
GTN>      modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-1-0
GTN>
GTN> How can I tell for certain which modules I need to add an alias
GTN> for, or if I should alias them off entirely?

The kernel source reveals that these modules are needed for kernel
ALSA support, and the ALSA documentation explains how to use these
module aliases.  If you're using the generic boring kernel sound
drivers (isn't beta software *fun*? :-) then it's safe to turn off
these modules with lines like

  alias sound-slot-1 off

somewhere under /etc/modutils.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"