Re: xf86setup q's

At 05:25 PM 8/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>debs,
>
>i've got vga monitor, which plugs into a port at the back of the
>computer.  i don't have a video card for the monitor, meaning that the
>monitor connects to the motherboard via ribbon from the port.

Try to run the program SuperProbe (must be in /usr/X11R6/bin if I remember
correctly). But having written that, you'll probably have a pretty new
motherboard with a chipset that SuperProbe won't recognize.

Second best: Just go for the standard SVGA driver and try 640x480 at 8 bpp.
If that works try 800x600 at 16 bpp. If you got it running first solve your
other hardware problems and if you have nothing better to do on a Sunday
afternoon only then look into your hardware spec deeper.

Hope this helps.

Hans