Re: DVD on Linux?

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 12:30:39AM -0700, Ramiel G. wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there are any DVD players out there for Linux?
>
> Due to restrictions on the decoding algorithms and (I presume) the specs
> for chips used in hardware decoders there aren't any.

hmm...

i believe that is not true

due to patents problem, it is impossible to have open-source
software only DVD player. It is possible however to have:

1. closed source commercial software only DVD player - author
   pays royalty out of income selling decoder to you

2. hardware based DVD player with GPLed driver -
   hardware manufacturer pays royalty adding it to
   player cost

i believe you can get hw DVD player with Linux driver
(panasonic comes to mind ?)

OK