Re: "httpd: cannot determine local host name"

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, André Bell wrote:

> Well... in my httpd.conf file I've entered:
>    <virtualhost www.oneclick.com>
>    Serveradmin andre@oneclick.com
>    DocumentRoot /var/www/oneclick
>    ServerName oneclick
>    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/oneclick/error.log
>    TransferLog /var/log/apache/oneclick/access.log
>    </VirtualHost>
>
> To answer your question here's what I get when typing the following:
> > hostname
> oneclick
> > hostname -f
> oneclick
>
> Despite the above apache still says:
>    [error] Cannot resolve host name www.oneclick.com --- ignoring!
>    httpd: cannot determine local host name.
>    Use the ServerName directive to set it manually.

Use the ServerName directive. You'll need to uncomment it. This directive
is outside virtualhost section. Apache is complaining about the global
ServerName. Put this outside the virtualhost:

ServerName www.oneclick.com

Also for virtual host you need to put the NameVirtualHost directive. This
is for non-IP based virtual hosting.

NameVirtualHost your.ip.address.quad  (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Mine is like this:

-------------------------------------
NameVirtualHost 192.168.9.10

<VirtualHost www.linux1.tf.ipen.br>
ServerAdmin mario@curiango.ipen.br
DocumentRoot /var/www/www.linux1
ServerName www.linux1.tf.ipen.br
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/www.linux1-error.log
TransferLog /var/log/apache/www.linux1-access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.linux2.tf.ipen.br>
ServerAdmin mario@curiango.ipen.br
DocumentRoot /var/www/www.linux2
ServerName www.linux2.tf.ipen.br
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/www.linux2-error.log
TransferLog /var/log/apache/www.linux2-access.log
</VirtualHost>

works fine.

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21