Re: Promise FastTrack 66 IDE-RAID controller

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Alexis Maldonado wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Has anyone used the FastTrack 66 controller from Promise in Linux? Does it
> work well? Do we need kernel drivers for this board? Are they available?

There is a patch for the controller, I will look for it on my drive and
send it to you, for 2.0.37 and 2.2.10.

We are using it for a RAID-1 array with two drives. It seems to be working
all right, even though we have only one 80-wire cable, and the other drive
is on a 40-wire cable. Unfortunately in our country no 80-wire cables can
be purchased, and there were only one 80-wire cables in the box.
Could anybody point me to an url where I can order a 80-wired Ultra-ATA/66
cable where is no outrageous postal and handling fee? It does not seem
proper to pay $50 postage fee for a <$10 cable...

> Someone on the list wrote that the Promise Ultra 66 controller works, but
> that one doesn't do RAID, so I need to find out about the FastTrack 66
> controller.

No need for that, just use the proper mdtools...

mdtools for the normal 2.0.35-37 kernel and mdtools2 for the 2.2.x kernels
or 2.0.3x kernel with the extra kernel patches for mdtools2 (see the
documentation for it).

Robert Varga