problems with defrag 0.73

Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ve a little problem with defrag 0.73.
I tried  to e2defrag  my root partition /dev/hda4 and defrag said: cannot work
on mounted device. Then I 've tried to umount it but my system (debian 2.1
kernel 2.2.5) said:  device  is busy. I went to runlevel 1 in order to
singeluse it, but the same game went on. In runlevel 1 the root partition
/dev/hda4 is read only. I'm not able to unmount it.
What did I wrong and how to shoot it??????????
Thanx IA, for helping me.

Oliver
o.larisch@cityweb.de
Langenfeld/Germany