Re: Video modes for X?

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, John Gay wrote:
> clock freq, then the horiz and vert freq's are listed by period. Is there a
> simple formula to translate these periods to the settings used by X, or does the
> Video card have some influence on these setting as well. I used XF86Setup to set
> up my X server. Is there a simple way to back up the settings for X? What files
> should I save? My system automatically boots into X using xdm. If I trash my X
> settings, can I get into a terminal to move the back up files to recover from
> serious failures? I meant to bring in the manual for my monitor to copy the info
> into this mail, but I left it at home. Would this info be useful to someone to
> suggest settings for X? I can bring it in tomorrow.

Read the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO and if that gets too complicated (it did
for me) there is a program on sunsite, oops metalab called videogen, it will
ask you for your horiz, vert freqs and a few other odds and ends and print out
modelines. It's at
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/X11/xutils/videogen-0.16.tar.gz, I don't think
there is a deb of it but I could be wrong.

--
Ashley Clark