Re: restricted shell

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 12:03:52PM +0200, J Horacio MG wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I know of the existance of a restricted shell, though I'm not sure
> > > whether this is what I'm after.
> > Nope, correct me if I'm wrong, but you just want a way to remotely
> > login to your computer.

No, no, I meant a shell that restricts a user from almost everything,
except login and a few simple chosen programs.

> Actually, i believe some sort of restricted shell _is_ what is needed
> here.

Right!

> bash has a -r option, this may bee what you want.

Fine, I somehow thought there existed some sort of restrictive shell.
How do you create such a user... ie. a user with a default bash -r
shell?

> > I'd say to use telnetd, because there are some nice telnet programs out
> > there. But, telnet is insecure, and by default the only way to log in as
> > root on telnet is to login as a normal use and 'su' to root.
>
> i definately would _not_ login as root over telnet, unless your su program
> uses a one-time-password system of some sort.

That's what I thought, that telnet is highly unsecure.

> > If you can, do ssh and grab the unix version or the freeware windows
> > program 'Tera Term Pro'.

No, no need to use windoze at all... both machines will be running
Linux...

> ssh is definately the way you'll want to go. [...]

That's what I was hoping for...  I downloaded ssh2 (.tgz'ed and
.deb'ed).  Say, both machines are running under Linux with a
dial-on-demand connection (one pc and the other laptop)... would I be
able from machine2 to log into machine1 and do all sort of fiddling
including upgrades?

Thank You,

--
Horacio