Re: restricted shell

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 12:03:52PM +0200, J Horacio MG wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know of the existance of a restricted shell, though I'm not sure
> > whether this is what I'm after.
> Nope, correct me if I'm wrong, but you just want a way to remotely
> login to your computer.

Actually, i believe some sort of restricted shell _is_ what is needed
here.

The r in rsh, IIRC, stands for "remote", not "restricted". It's a
(insecure) method of executing commands on a remote host that you have a
shell account on.

bash has a -r option, this may bee what you want.

> > In time, I'll be moving away to another country, and I intend to leave
> > my home computer with the current users configured, ie. root (of
> > course), my sister, and I.  I'd also like to create a "guest" user with
> > some little (hence restricted) access.  Is rsh what I should be looking
> > for?
> I'd say to use telnetd, because there are some nice telnet programs out
> there. But, telnet is insecure, and by default the only way to log in as
> root on telnet is to login as a normal use and 'su' to root.

i definately would _not_ login as root over telnet, unless your su program
uses a one-time-password system of some sort.

> > Also, I'll need to access the computer both as root and as normal user
> > remotely, via the inet, as I cannot give my sister root control (good
> > ...!  it took me a lot to convince her to give up windozing, then
> > customize her account and installing some nice looking programs, etc...
> > sadly enough, mutt doesn't offer a flowers bouquet with each new mail,
> > so I had to give her XCMail ;-) );
> > is, in this case, ssh what I should be installing?
> If you can, do ssh and grab the unix version or the freeware windows
> program 'Tera Term Pro'.

ssh is definately the way you'll want to go. You can get it from any
Debian non-US mirror--put "deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable non-US" or "deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
unstable/non-US main contrib non-free" in your apt sources.list.

Tera Term Pro is a good plan if you have to connect from windoze machines.
You could even set up ftp to allow you to grab it for quick installation
on any computer you get ahold of. You'll need two 'packages', TeraTerm
from <http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html> and the TTSSH
add-on from <http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html>. Also, heed the
warning that you can only use one add-on at a time!

As an interesting side note, TeraTerm even seems to work under Wine!

> If not, telnet is a good second choice, because it comes standard on
> all Windoze machines (you didn't mention what kind of computer you
> will be connecting from).

Very insecure...

- --
  finger for PGP public key.