Re: VMware on debian: module compilation

Brian Servis <servis@purdue.edu> writes:

> Excellent, I can't wait.
>
> Is the install process truely dependent on the currently running kernel
> matching the kernel headers that the user points to?  Being able to
> compile the modules for other kernels without having to reboot into
> that kernel would be handy.
Well, at the end of the install, we just need modules that will insmod
with the kernel that will be running when the user will use
vmware.

But I don't think I will propose to build modules other than for the
running kernel, because clueless users don't upgrade their kernel that
often, and advanced users will figure out that they have to do something
like make KERNEL_HEADER=/foo/bar/my_kernel_version to do what they
want.

> Will this new and improved install script(and Makefiles) be made
> available before the next point release of vmware?  Or will this be
> enough to warrant a point release of vmware?
I will try. As with gcc 2.95 modifications, I can't promise anything
because we are in feature freeze right now, but they will probably be
in the first refresh of the VMware release 1.1

PS: If you have other questions, please don't CC the debian list anymore,
    this is becoming off-topic.

Best regards,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne - Member of Technical Staff - VMWare, Inc.
        www              http://www.VMware.com/