Modem/PPP Problems

PPP is setup and configured, and it works fine, only the connect speed is
never reported.  If I look in /var/log/messages it just says "CONNECT" with
no speed.  I've tried a bunch of init strings (Including the one I use in
Windows for the same modem), but nothing seems to work.  The modem I'm using
is a USRobotics Sportster 56K External Data/Fax.  Ultimately, I'd like for
connect speed as well as the local and remote IPs to be echoed to the
console when a connection is established.  Thanks,

Kelly Lesperance