Re: CGI Help

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 09:49:06AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Stephen Pitts wrote:
> >
> [cut]
> > My next project..developing an admin system using Python and wxWindows.
> > I can develop under Linux and deliver it to my client running
> > Windows without changing the code..do that with any other language
> > (including the much-acclaimed JDK/Swing combo!)
>
> Hmmm.  Couldn't you readily do this in Perl also?  I'm not going to
> argue the point on this list, nosirree.  Just asking.  I don't even know
> Python.
>
> Anyway, if anyone wants to get in on a definitive ongoing flamewar on
> Perl vs. Python, go to comp.lang.perl.misc right now.  Slurs are hurled,
> subjectivity parades as objectivity, everything you could want.  :-)

Oh..God..I saw that one the other day while searching on
Dejanews...looks really ugly! I'll stay out of that one.

The only cross-platform tool that I know of that exists for Perl is Tk.
>From a cursory glance at the Tk docs, it doesn't have some of the neat
controls that wxWindows has (TreeView and ListView). Also, wxWindows
looks like the native GUI (GTK or Windows). Finally, most of the
guts for wxWindows exist in C++ and from what I understand, a lot of the
Perl/Tk implementation is still in Perl and the speed difference is noticable.

Then again..GTK has been ported to Windows, so maybe the bindings work
on Windows and Linux?

Also..Python just looks cooler, and feels write. To paraphrase from the
flamewar. programming in Python is more fun (IMHO) and irregardless of
what other benefits I get out of it, I write programs because it is fun.
If it ceased to be fun, then none of the other rewards would be worth
it.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com