Re: e2fsck w/out boot?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Guilherme Soares Zahn wrote:

 : > Did you go to single user mode before you tried to remount root
 : > read-only?  Have you more than one e2fs partition?
 :
 : The answer is 'nope' to both, and I think you've just got it... should have entered
 : single mode BEFORE trying that! I guess it's just one typical case of the famous
 : 'DOS/Win former user syndome'... ;-)
 :
 : BTW... how do I get into single user mode? ;-?

`shutdown now' as root should do it!  `shutdown -h now' halts the
machine, and `shutdown -r now' reboots it.  Note that you can change
"now" to a time and do scheduled shutdowns ... full details in `man
shutdown', of course :)

Good luck,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD