Re: SV: Configuring a monitor (and video card)?

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> virtanen wrote:
>
> > while doing dpkg -i there is no advice available to see, what kind of
> > packages are needed to solve dependency problems... It is just telling you
> > that this won't do...
>
> Doing dpkg -i <package> should give you meaningful error messages.

It is just telling you that it cannot configure the driver. I knew that is
not a good way to install anything from potato, but basically this is the
only thing you can easily do by just following (the missing) instructions
available at debian.org. (It might be a good idea to have some kind of
archive there telling what to do with some newer machines, which are not
compatible with slink, but with which there is some newer stuff available
anyway.)

> > announced 'unpacking...' (so there is something else besides that
> > 'Windows-button'.)
> >
> > Now the complete system is again broken, no kernel or X starting. No
> > dependency problems either.
> >
> > Going home. Got enough for today.
>
> The netgod stuff I pointed to is built for slink.  I use it on my
> G200 at home and my Diamond Viper (TNT-based) at work with _no_
> problems.

Today is a new day. Thanks a lot for this knowledge about the right
server. I'll try to install it today. If the screen starts working OK,
I'll try to solve the problem of sudden shut-down.

I was told by a local windows-guru that the automatic shut-off is a
property of newer atx-boxes and mainboards. It might be a problem. There
is probably some kind of message coming from windblows when it is going
down to tell the machine to shut the power off. Is it possible that the
machine is getting the same signal from GNU-system sometimes?

hv
hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi