Scratchy sound during IO operations

During heavy-duty IO operations, the xmms sound becomes so scratchy and
garbled that it is unbearable. This occurs when doing things like
'apt-get dist-upgrade' and while ripping cds with cdparanoia. I don't remember
this happenning before. The sound card is an ISA Soundblaster 16 PnP and the
motherboard is a Pentium II motherboard with two relatively new 6 GB
IDE hard drives. I don't remember this happening before, but I realize that
the system bus is probably being overloaded by the data going to/from
the hard drives ahd the memory to adequately deliver data to the sound
cards. Is there any setting I can tell something (BIOS, kernel, etc) so
that the bus is shared better?
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com