Q: pts? vs ttyp?

I had a problem recently with running out of available ports on a server. I
switched to UNIX98 in trying to resolve the problem. So far, I haven't had a
problem, but now I notice that some people who access the server connect as
pts/? And some connect as ttyp?. All pts connections are made with telnet
and ssh1. ttyp connections are listed when someone connects with ssh2 or if
I enable ttysnoop. Should I be concerned about this? What is the difference?
Any further help would be great. This is puzzling.

Brendon