Re: newbie install problem with CD-ROM mount

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 10:33:18AM -0700, Patrick Olson wrote:

> > I am totally new to linux and debian. I tried to install from CD-ROM but
> > it (a Hi-Val (MITSUMI) FX400) wasn't recognized. Following the

Hi,

I don't have a MITSUMI, but I have an old Soundblaster CDROM hanging off the sound card.

This makes the cdrom the 5th ide device, or /dev/hde.  The defaults in /dev only go up through hdd.  When I first did an install I had to install the base off a hard drive.  Then after the first reboot (half way through the install) I was able to switch to another virtual console and:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV /dev/hde

Then I was all set.  Later I did a:
ln -s /dev/hde /dev/cdrom

I apologize if this has nothing to do with your problem, but I sounded like it did.  Good luck either way.

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard