Re: newbie install problem with CD-ROM mount

> I am totally new to linux and debian. I tried to install from CD-ROM but
> it (a Hi-Val (MITSUMI) FX400) wasn't recognized. Following the
> installation instructions I tried the second choice of booting in
> DOS/Win first and copying installation files to the C: partition. This
> works OK, but still, when I get to the part about mounting the CD-ROM it
> fails with no indication of why. How can I trouble-shoot this?
> Is there a way to shell out of the installation menus to try a manual
> mount? or where do I look to see why the CD-ROM fails to mount? I
> believe the driver was installed when I was prompted for that in a
> previous step, but can I check somewhere that it actually was? Is it
> possible that this CD_ROM is not supported by LINUX? What info should I
> post to this list so someone can undertand exactly where my problem
> lies? (I know you can't guess at it from my limited descriptions here).
> Thanks very much for your time, Dave

It can be done.  I have two systems, both with the FX400.  One of the
drives even came as part of a Hi-Val multimedia kit.  From the system
logs:

Aug 10 09:56:19 picard kernel: hdc: FX400E, ATAPI CDROM drive

Linux auto-detected this thing hooked to my secondary IDE controller.
Here's how I set it up:

1. I did not connect the CDROM drive's IDE cable to the sound card.
2. I think I set a jumper on the sound card to disable IDE or some such
   thing.
3. I set the jumper on the CDROM to "master"
   (it might work as slave too, I don't know)
4. I connected it to the motherboard's "secondary IDE" connector.
5. It magically worked.  If it hadn't, I wouldn't have known what to do.

Note that in my system, there are two IDE devices.  The CD-ROM is the
master on the secondary IDE controller.  My hard disk is the master on the
primary IDE controller.  There are no slave drives in my computer.

I don't know if this chart will help, but here goes:
/dev/hda	primary master (usually a hard disk)
/dev/hdb	primary slave
/dev/hdc	secondary master (in my case, a CD-ROM drive)
/dev/hdd	secondary slave

If you still have difficulty getting the CD to mount, make sure the CD in
the drive is a Debian binary, not Debian source.  Also, I think it would
be helpful to know how your CD-ROM drive is connected and how many IDE
controllers your system has (usually 1 or 2, not counting sound cards).

Hope this helps,
Patrick