Re: confusing X problem

* Patrick Olson <compman@internetcds.com> writes:

> That sounds good, but I'm not really sure how to accomplish step-by-step
> analysis with X.  Everything seems to be just fine until I try to run X.
> Even then, everything seems fine except for the "power on" and "power off"
> entries in /var/log/xdm.log and the fact that the monitor does just that.

I would first get rid of xdm, then run

   X -probeonly 2> my_x-probe.log

From the console.
Then post the file my_x-probe.log (which shouldn´t be too long) here.

What is printed on the biggest chip of this card (or have you already
posted this?)

Maybe also worth trying: I don´t know whether the big hardware support
database at www.suse.de is also available in english---if not, I could
look it up for you.

Cheers,
  Colin