Re: Auto-mounting and unattended boot

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 05:33:47PM +0300, Alex Shnitman wrote:

> I have a removable drive in a machine that doesn't have a display and
> is used via the network. Since the drive is removable, sometimes the
> machine boots without the drive, and sometimes with it. I'd like to
> have it mount the filesystem on the drive automatically on boot, but
> if it's not there it shouldn't wait for a root password like it does
> now, but just fail and continue booting. Is it possible somehow?

I've not actually tried this recently but a messy way to do it is to
set the filesystem noauto in fstab and then mount it as a background
job later on in the boot.  It's ugly, but it probably won't halt the
boot.

If they way the drive is used is suitable you could also use an
automounter to mount it on demand.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/