HP JetDirect and Debian

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange problem with an HP JetDirect J2552A
(firmware A.3.0.16) printer server installed in an HP DesignJet 750C
plotter. I can telnet to the plotter and configure it from a Debian 2.0
box, but I can not send anything to it.
I have tried *everything* reported in the Printing-HOWTO,
included the small Perl script to directly access the JetDirect through
port 9100, but without success..
The Debian box has LPRng installed on it, and the spooling software works
perfectly. I have read on the Bug Tracking mailing-list that LPRng
seems not to be able to talk to networked printers, but I am not sure if
that applies to my case as well, since even direct TCP connection does not
work for me...
What really drives me nuts is the fact that the same plotter works without
any glitches if accessed from two NT 3.51 boxes via Microsoft's LPR
service...
One more thing: When I use lpq on the networked plotter, in addition to
the info from LPRng I get the following line:
"JetDirect lpd: no entries".
So it seems that at least *something* is understood by the JetDirect.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cleto