Re: Apache: unable to use authentification

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Marc Mongeon wrote:

> You need to specify the "AllowOverride AuthConfig" directive for that
> directory in one of the main config files (e.g., /etc/apache/access.conf).

I have AllowOverride All for this directory. I hoped that All would be
enough :)
Anyway, without AllowOverride set to either All or AuthConfig, I do get a
request for username&password, but this alwais fails. I tried using a
plain password file, a dbm file and using PAM. All fail.

> I'm trying to get Apache (tried the Slink version and the current Potato
> version) to use authentification for some directory.
> Inside the directory  have the following .htaccess:
>
> AuthType basic
> AuthName rinet
> AuthUserfile /etc/apache/htpasswd
> require user bartjan
>
> When I try to authentificate myself, I get in error.log:
>
> [Tue Aug 17 16:13:20 1999] [error] (13)Permission denied: access to
> /rinet/ failed for 10.2.100.11, reason: Authentication failure
>
> Passwd file was produced with htpasswd and does contain the user bartjan.
> I tried to authentificate myself numerous times, so mistyping the password
> is not the problem.
> auth_module is loaded in httpd.conf
>
> The systems I tested on are Slink systems, but with Potato libc6
> (2.1.2-0pre2) and a few other upgrades. Kernels 2.2.5 and 2.2.6

Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan