Re: Xemacs Prcs problem (still persists)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Prashanth Mundkur wrote:

> Setting up prcs (1.2.11-7) ...
> install/prcs: Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour xemacs20
> Compiling /usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs/prcs.el...
>   ** Variable reference to constant :buffer
>   ** Variable reference to constant :force
> [...]
>   ** Variable reference to constant :get-descriptor-too
> Wrote /usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs/prcs.elc
> Done

I don't know much about this message.  Is there a file named
/usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs/prcs.el

You can check using a command like
ls /usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs/prcs.e*

It should list both prcs.el and prcs.elc.  If prcs.el does not exist, you
might try "dpkg --pending --configure" but I'm afraid if that doesn't work
I don't know much more.

> Remarkably, xemacs still doesn't find it. It does
> [strace o/p]
> stat("/usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/octave/prcs.elc",0xbfffe510) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat("/usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/octave/prcs.el",0xbfffe510) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> but it doesn't look in
> /usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs
>
> Is there a way of getting xemacs to look in the
> right place?

ln -s /usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/prcs/prcs.elc
/usr/share/xemacs20/site-lisp/octave/prcs.elc

ought to make it find at file, getting rid of one of the two "No such file
or directory" messages.

Warning:  This may not be the right way to fix it.  I don't actually know
anything about emacs.  ln -s is just a command to make a link from the
actual location to the place where the program is looking.

Please someone else jump into this thread if there is a better answer!

Hope this helps,
Patrick