Re: Setting up Exim

Hi,

First off I am confused why you have exim installed: I thought smail was the default for stable.....guess I am wrong.

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 09:29:12PM +0200, vw@geus.DK wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.
> Yes, it seems I can mail myself. I started "mail" and sent a message to
> "viggo" (my local username). It arrived promptly, and I was able to read it.
> I can not, however, find any file by that name (or any file at all) in my
> /home/viggo directory (using "dir" from an xterm, one the few recognizable
> commands to me from way back in them DOS-days).

OK, what you have proved is that local mail delivery works. In other words exim is capable of understanding mail from one user on the system to another user on the system.

Note that mail is not stored in your home dir specifically.  Mail initially is stored by the system in /var/spool/mail/<userid> which is one file with all the emails added (concatenated) on top of each other.  This single file format is the standard.  When you use a mail program such as mutt, pine, vm they have the option of either moving the mail from the spool file into a home dir file or not: for example Netscape uses file in ~/nsmail and vm (emacs email) uses ~/INBOX

Fetchmail works by grabbing the POP3 email from the remote server and delivering it to the local machines SMTP port.  So you need to check if your machines SMTP email works.  You can do this by telneting to the local server on the smtp port (25) and doing exactly what a mail program does.  Here's an example anything without a code is what I typed:

bash-2.01$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-blah.dircon.co.uk Smail-3.2.0.102 (#2 1998-Oct-13) ready at Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:42:58 +0100 (BST)
220 ESMTP supported
helo la			# this is me just providing a fake hostname
250 blah.dircon.co.uk Hello la (localhost from address [127.0.0.1]).
mail from: steve@blah.dircon.co.uk 	#here I specify who the mail is from
250 steve@blah.dircon.co.uk ... Sender Okay
rcpt to: steve@blah.dircon.co.uk	# here who the mail is for
250 'steve@blah.dircon.co.uk' <steve@(nodomain)> Recipient Okay.
data			# I now send the body of my email
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Hi,			# my message
A test
.			# end it with a . on a blank line
250 Mail accepted
quit			# end with quit, you should get the mail
221 blah.dircon.co.uk closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

With these two components working your final link in the chain is fetchmail.  If you are still having problems you could probably do with getting fethmail to log verbosely and send that output to the list.

If it's just you on your machine can I suggest using a mail program that has POP3 support - something like Balsa for X or mutt for commandline.

Argh! sorry this is so long!!

Steve