Re: confusing X problem

> I took a look at your files on the web. A quick check of
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards indicates the following:
>
> NAME Weitek P9100 (generic)
> CHIPSET Weitek P9100
> SERVER SVGA
> NOCLOCKPROBE

Thanks for that info.  I didn't even know that file was there, but it
wouldn't matter much since mine is old and doesn't have that entry.  Did I
do something bad by just getting a new XF86_SVGA and not upgrading
anything else?

I noticed that the NOCLOCKPROBE and tried putting that in the config file.
It definitely didn't like that.  Is there a way to tell it not to probe
the clock?

> I noticed you have a RAMDAC entry and a Clocks entry in your XF86Config.
> It may be that the card does not like to be probed (the commented VideoRam
> entry would suggest this). If you haven't already, try removing those
> entries and see what happens. Beyond this I'm out of ideas. Just read,
> read, read .... :-)

Thanks for the idea.  I tried commenting those out as well as setting both
RAMDAC and Clockchip to the values the it normally detects (ibm_rgb525 and
icd2061a, respectively).  None of these made any changes.

I also tried specifying Chipset "p9100", but it complained about rendition
being an unknown chipset and then proceeded to detect the P9100!  That
seemed really strange, but I won't claim to know what it means.

Thanks,
Patrick Olson