RE: 3com509c not recognized

>===== Original Message From Heikki Vatiainen <hessu@cs.tut.fi> =====
>westk@nicanor.acu.edu wrote:
>> I've just done a clean install of Slink (2.0.36 kernel) on a Gateway
PII-400,
>> but the installer doesn't install the 3c509c driver ("Installation
>> Failed...").
>
>You mean 3c905C, the twisted pair only 10/100Mbit/s Ethernet card
>and not 3c509, the 10Mbit/s card?

Oops, my bad. You're right; it's a 3c905c, not 509 (and to think, I know this
is a common error and I did it anyway).

>Also, if you say "dmesg" after you try to install the module, is
>there something like "Unknown 3Com PCI ethernet adapter type 9200
>detected..." near the end of dmesg output?

I'm just trying to install it during the installation routine, and the
installation of the module fails then, so I'm not sure about dmesg's output.

>If this seems to be the case, then you have the 3c905C card, which
>is not recognized by the kernel (yet) but is known to work. See
>http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9908_03/
>msg00191.html for more info. I have added a patch against 2.0.36
>and 2.0.37 in the bottom of this message for you convenience. It
>looks like you have to patch and recompile at least the 3Com driver
>in your kernel :-/

Oh great. Another learning curve....

>> I've searched the archives and the web in general, but can't find much on
the
>> "c" card, except that it's a "Tornado" (as opposed to "Vornado" for the "b"
>> card, IIRC). I've gotten the "b" card to work before, but this box has a
"c"
>> card, and I'm forbidden from swapping it out.
>
>I think the b model (3c905B) is called Cyclone and this new model
>(3c905C) is called Tornado.
>
>> Anyone have any suggestions? (BTW, I'm still pretty green in LinuxLand, so
>> talk
>> down to me.)
>
>What you should do is to decide if you want to upgrade to 2.0.37
>which is the latest of the 2.0.x series or if you want to stay with
>2.0.36. One of the differences between .36 and .37 kernels is that
>among other changes, .37 seems to have a more recent 3c59x driver
>that .36.

I was planning on upgrading to the 2.2 kernel as soon as I got the box on the
network, but now it sounds like I might be better off to download a 2.2 kernel
now in order to get the NIC working. In which case, maybe I should just forego
slink and go straight to potato. Or am I just asking for trouble doing that?

>You can patch the driver by first unpacking the kernel source and
[doing the following...]

<snip>

>// Heikki
>--
>Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
>Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.