Re: SCSI Zip help - Dmesg meaning?

At 12:56 PM 8/16/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I am trying to get a Iomega SCSI Zip working on my system.
>aha152x: processing commandline: ok
>aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
>aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
>aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost.
>aha152x: IRQ 9 possibly wrong.  Please verify.
>scsi : 0 hosts.
>scsi : detected total.
>
>What does this mean?  Does it mean that the card is being identified but
that the Drive itself is not being found?  What can
>I try to get things working?

Lance--

It took me a while to get my aha152x driver working too. Unless you know
what your jumper settings are on the card, you will be playing hide and
seek, trying to configure aha152x by guesswork. That is a *big* waste of
time -- believe me; I've been there.

What I finally had to do was to pull the card out and compare its jumper
settings to those in the manual. If you do this, you can find out what the
proper IRQ is as well as the two or three other settings you need to know.
Once you know these settings, you can set your card up very quickly with
command-line options for aha152x. If you don't know what an IRQ is, etc.
check the "PC Hardware FAQ" at rtfm.mit.edu. (Email me privately if you
need more info on how to get there.)

If you bought your card used or something and don't have a manual, you can
find manuals for most Adaptec cards at <http://www.adaptec.com>. You will
have to poke around, though. They come in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format, if I
remember.

Hope this helps. This list was *really* helpful when I was setting up
Debian; I hope I can give something back.

Ron
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org & http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/
     Center for Ludic Synergy & "Kennexions" Glass Bead Game