Re: confusing X problem

> Um, I've got only good to say for the xserver that nvidia has released,
> which your video card might like. I hear "diamond viper" so I'm guessing
> a tnt chip. Beyond that, you really should have the specs of your
> monitor handy, as that has always for me been the part that needed the
> endless testing of capable modes. You can get that xserver at
> www.nvidia.com if you're interested, btw.

Unfortunately, the Viper Pro Video (or at least this one) uses a Weitek
P9100.  I tried the nvidia server and had exactly the same problem as with
the SVGA server that comes with dists/stable: stuck in 320x200 even though

I told xf86config everything I knew:

-that I want 800x600
-horizontal frequency range of 31-65
-vertical frequency range of 55-120
-2MB video RAM

It is running 800x600 under Win95, so I know the hardware can do it.  That
makes this even more frustrating, since the hardware can clearly do
800x600, I told xf86config everything, and it randomly picks 320x200.

I can understand why the logfile shows it rejecting modes higher than
800x600 because they are outside the monitor's frequency range, but it
does not even bother to say why it refuses to run 800x600.

The file /etc/X11/XF86Config is at
http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/XF86Config

The file /var/log/xdm.log is at
http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/xdm.log

Could someone please take a look at them and help me understand how to get
it working?