Re: How to quit XDM ?

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Eric G . Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 05:35:18PM -0500, Brad wrote:
> |
> | As has been mentioned before, this isn't the best solution either. Say you
> | remove the link in runlevel 2. Fine, xdm doesn't start on boot. Then you
> | change to level 3, and xdm is started. Again, good. But now you change
> | back to level 2, where xdm shouldn't be running. What happens? xdm is
> | still there, since you never told the system to kill it in runlevel 2.
>
>   Yes, but this begs the question, why? I don't know of any good reason
>   to go around changing runlevels midstream.  The only time that makes
>   any sense to me, is when you want to do maintainence, and don't want
>   anyone else using the system, and only the minimal services running.
>   For that, using "shutdown now" brings you down to runlevel 1, then
>   you log in as root, do whatever, and then bring the system back up. Am
>   I missing something here?

This xdm discussion illustrates the reason. Suppose you don't want xdm
running all the time (or on boot), but sometimes you do. You could
possibly do this with several major areas (e.g. network daemons, xdm,
etc.) so that by specifying a runlevel you would easily control which
services are running instead of having to kill/start them one by one.

You could even set one runlevel to be kdm, and another to be gdm (i
haven't used either, but i get the impression they're rather different).